Tribal Government Essentials for Tribal Councils
and Employees in Alaska
||September 24 - 25, 2020
||1:00 p.m. EDT; 12:00 p.m. CDT; 11:00 a.m. MDT; 10:00 a.m. PDT; 9:00 a.m. AKDT
||ONLINE - VIRTUAL TRAINING
Attend this LIVE, ONLINE TRAINING presented by our expert, who will be using all the interactive training tools used in the classroom and more. You’ll be able to ask questions, respond to polls, and collaborate with others. Don’t let anything interrupt your training needs. Join us online and experience a different way of learning!
Please click here for Virtual Training FAQs.
This class is the perfect starting point for anyone serving on a tribal council, working for a tribe or working with tribes in Alaska. While nearly half of the federally recognized tribes in the US are in Alaska, much of the information you’ll find online or in training courses is geared towards tribes in the lower 48. This class provides a great foundation of Alaska-specific information. We’ll help you understand all the basic aspects of tribal government development as they relate to Alaska tribes, in plain language you can understand.
Join us for an information-packed class taught by Alaska tribal government expert Lisa Jaeger*.
*Subject to change.
|T O P I C S I N C L U D E
|Basic Federal Indian Law as it Applies to Alaska Tribes
Tribal Sovereignty and Jurisdiction in Alaska
- Legal and political framework
- Current picture of jurisdiction for Alaska tribes
- Territory: Land management and land into trust
- Personal: Tribal membership and enrollment/citizenship
- Subjects: Domestic relations and public safety
- Rights and obligations of tribal councils
- Ethics for tribal governments
- Holding effective meetings - Robert's Rules
- Rights of tribal membership
- Communication considerations
- Fiduciary responsibility
- Protecting tribal resources: Fraud prevention
- Tribal sovereign immunity
- Business structures for economic development
Legislative Aspect of Tribal Government
- History of Native preference hire
- Personnel policies
- Relationships between employees and councils
- Written tools of tribal government (constitutions, codes, policies, resolutions, MOAs)
- Assessing where the tribe is at in terms of written laws
|Judicial Role of Tribal Government
Tribal Government: Good to Great
- Establishing tribal courts
- Judicial structures
- Fundamentals of due process
- Funding opportunities
- Opportunities to work with the state
- Restorative justice
Topics subject to change.
- Strategic planning
- Best practices