Roles and Responsibilities of
Tribal Board and Council Members
||June 28 - 29, 2021
||12:30 p.m. EDT; 11:30 a.m. CDT; 10:30 a.m. MDT; 9:30 a.m. PDT; 8:30 a.m. AKDT
||ONLINE - VIRTUAL TRAINING
Attend this LIVE, ONLINE TRAINING presented by our expert, who will be using all the interactive training tools used in the classroom and more. Youíll be able to ask questions, respond to polls, and collaborate with others. Donít let anything interrupt your training needs. Join us online and experience a different way of learning!
Please click here for Virtual Training FAQs.
The members of your community have entrusted you with the responsibility to lead and govern in an effective and fair manner. Becoming an effective board or council member does not just happen. You need to develop the skills and knowledge that will help you work harmoniously with your peers, resolve conflict and learn the art of compromise. Along with these skills, you need to develop the ability to understand financial issues, which includes knowing how to read and understand the single annual audit.
This comprehensive class will assist you in developing the skills, knowledge and ability to function in your role as a board or council member. Through case studies, exercises and in-depth discussions you will view your responsibilities in a whole new light and be ready to return to your tribe with a renewed vision and commitment to the people you serve.
|T O P I C S I N C L U D E
|Functions and Responsibilities
- Control through policies
- Committee structure
- Controlling through the budget process
- Your constitution and bylaws - the difference
- Basic Robert's Rules
- Choosing and working with auditors
- Reading and understanding the Single Audit report
- Overview of internal controls
- Compensation of board and council members
- Key questions to ask the auditor
- What is sovereignty?
- Your jurisdiction
- Establishing protocols
- Protecting your tribeís sovereignty
- Working with other members of your board or council
- Coming to a compromise
- Respecting your fellow members
- What turns a group into a team?
- How to create synergy
- Defining leadership
- Leadership vs. management
- What makes a great leader?
- How you can make a difference
- How we become leaders
Evaluating Key Staff
- Major causes of conflict
- Positive conflict
- Five conflict models
- Resolving our differences
- Turning it into a win-win
Self-Determination or Self Governance
- Who should the board or council evaluate?
- How often?
- Setting performance measures
- Performance-based budgeting techniques
- Defining accepted employees
- Dealing with unsatisfactory performance
- A comparison
- Funding issues
- Basic requirements
- Basic rules of liability
- Ultra vires rule
- Scope of authority
- Sovereign immunity defense
*Topics subject to change.