Strategies for Working with Youth in
||February 22 - 24, 2021
||12:30 p.m. EDT; 11:30 a.m. CDT; 10:30 a.m. MDT; 9:30 a.m. PDT; 8:30 a.m. AKDT
||ONLINE - VIRTUAL TRAINING
EARLY BIRD/GROUP RATES THROUGH FEBRUARY 8, 2021:
1-2 registrants = 10% off.
3-5 registrants = 20% off.
6 or more registrants = 25% off. For information on Private Group Training, please call 1-800-992-4489, ext.119.
GROUP RATES AFTER FEBRUARY 8, 2021:
3-5 registrants = 10% off.
6 or more registrants = 15% off. For information on Private Group Training, please call 1-800-992-4489, ext.119.
This offer applies to new registrations only. Students must register at the same time and payment must be made at the time of registration. No other discounts may be applied. When registering online, please select CODE: 21EA0222 from the registration form drop down list for the question, “How did you first hear about this product?” If registering by phone, please mention CODE: 21EA0222.
Attend this LIVE, ONLINE TRAINING presented by our expert, who will be using all the interactive training tools used in the classroom and more. You’ll be able to ask questions, respond to polls, and collaborate with others. Don’t let anything interrupt your training needs. Join us online and experience a different way of learning!
Please click here for Virtual Training FAQs.
If you work with American Indian youth in any capacity — as a youth program worker or coordinator, after-school program provider, social worker, educator, or law enforcement officer — you face many obstacles in your efforts to guide Indian Country youth along the right path. This class will provide you with the information that you need to care for and lead future generations. We’ll discuss the types of challenges that all children face in the world today while concentrating on the key aspects involved in working with at-risk youth, addressing bullying issues, and building self confidence in youth in Native communities.
Our expert will provide you with the tools that you need to develop youth programs that will help youth build positive self-esteem and positive cultural identity. You’ll learn how to effectively counsel youth, develop a community strategy for getting and keeping kids out of gangs, and motivate youth to stay away from drugs and alcohol. Take this informative class and improve the lives of your community’s young people!
Topics regarding COVID will also be discussed (e.g., alternative methods to reaching youth during a pandemic).
RECOMMENDED RESOURCE: We recommend you read/purchase Reclaiming Youth at Risk: Futures of Promise, Third Edition, by Larry K. Brendtro, Martin Brokenleg and Steve Van Bockern.
|T O P I C S I N C L U D E
Issues Youth Face Today
- Drugs and alcohol
- Peer pressure
- Lack of leadership opportunities
- Lack of opportunity in general
Working With At-Risk Youth
- The Caring Curriculum
- Team-building activities
- Trust-building activities
- The seven kinds of smart
- Personality styles and youth counseling
- American Indian learning styles
Keeping Youth Out of Gangs
- Identifying the level of gang involvement
- Commitment from youth
- Realistic strategies
- Gang strategy model
- Step-by-step approach
- Developing a core group
- Problems to avoid
- Gang violence programs that work
- Getting elders involved
Educating Through Interactive Programs
- Training staff on interactive programs
- Ensuring physical, mental and social confidence
- Learning by doing
- Opening doors to development
- Using strength-based, culturally-appropriate education
Per Capita Income
- Programs that teach the management of per caps
- Recommended programs
- Job training
- Financial training
Developing Age-Specific Plans
- Identifying developmental stages
- Tailoring programs to meet individual differences
- Integrating education and physical play
- Adding culture-specific programs
- Involving parents in your program
- Programs and services for parents
Drug and Alcohol Use and Abuse
- Keeping your word and being yourself
- Developing trust
- Techniques for developing a rapport
- Identifying the problem
- Direct counseling approaches
Success and Problem-Solving Models
- Learn more about what drugs are popular TODAY
- How to motivate AI/AN youth to stay away from drugs and alcohol
- How to guide youth to make good decisions
- Youth success worksheet
- Figure eight problem-solving mode
- Change and problem-solving
*Topics subject to change.