Roles and Responsibilities of
Tribal Council Members in Alaska
||December 15 - 16, 2021
||8:30 AM – 4:00 PM AKDT
||The Lakefront Anchorage
(4800 Spenard Rd Anchorage, AK 99517, 907-243-2300)
|| For a room rate of $99.00 single/double per night, plus tax, please call 907-243-2300 by November 16, 2021. Click here to make your reservation online.
The members of your community have entrusted you with the responsibility to lead and govern in an effective and fair manner. Becoming an effective board or council member does not just happen. You need to develop the skills and knowledge that will help you work harmoniously with your peers, resolve conflict and learn the art of compromise. Along with these skills, you need to develop the ability to understand financial issues, which includes knowing how to read and understand the single annual audit.
This comprehensive class will assist you in developing the skills, knowledge and ability to function in your role as a board or council member. Through case studies, exercises and in-depth discussions you will view your responsibilities in a whole new light and be ready to return to your tribe with a renewed vision and commitment to the people you serve.
Please note that it is beneficial if several of your board or council members attend this class all at once. Please call for our special pricing option for three or more attendees from the same organization.
|T O P I C S I N C L U D E
|Functions and Responsibilities
- Control through policies
- Committee structure
- Controlling through the budget process
- Your constitution and bylaws - the difference
- Basic Robert's Rules
- Choosing and working with auditors
- Reading and understanding the Single Audit report
- Overview of internal controls
- Compensation of board and council members
- Key questions to ask the auditor
- What is sovereignty?
- Your jurisdiction
- Establishing protocols
- Protecting your tribe’s sovereignty
- Working with other members of your board or council
- Coming to a compromise
- Respecting your fellow members
- What turns a group into a team?
- How to create synergy
- Defining leadership
- Leadership vs. management
- What makes a great leader?
- How you can make a difference
- How we become leaders
Evaluating Key Staff
- Major causes of conflict
- Positive conflict
- Five conflict models
- Resolving our differences
- Turning it into a win-win
Self-Determination or Self Governance
- Who should the board or council evaluate?
- How often?
- Setting performance measures
- Performance-based budgeting techniques
- Defining accepted employees
- Dealing with unsatisfactory performance
- A comparison
- Funding issues
- Basic requirements
- Basic rules of liability
- Ultra vires rule
- Scope of authority
- Sovereign immunity defense
*Topics subject to change.