HANDS-ON, DYNAMIC EVENT!
Our experts will present 12 information-packed Sessions designed to help you fulfill your role as a tribal professional more effectively.
DAY ONE: WELCOME AND SESSION ONE:
DEVELOPING A LEADERSHIP MINDSET
Being in a leadership position doesn’t make you a leader — you need to have a leadership mindset. We’ll discuss ways you can think like a leader, tools for inspiring and motivating others and qualities it takes to be an effective leader at a tribal organization.
- What truly motivates and inspires others
- Why the best leaders know there’s a time and place for everything
- Developing your own leadership through empowering others
DAY ONE: SESSION TWO:
MANAGING RECORDS IN A DIGITAL WORLD
What’s worse than the panic of not being able to locate an important document when you need it? With a proper plan, you can tame even the most disorganized mess of files. We’ll walk you through the steps for cohesively organizing paper and electronic documents, helping you create an efficient and effective file system that works for you. Whether or not you are “naturally” organized, this is a session you won’t want to miss!
- The characteristics of an efficient system
- Different strategies for categorizing files
- Which supplies you need to support your file system
DAY ONE: SESSION THREE:
PROBLEM SOLVING FOR THE TRIBAL PROFESSIONAL
“Putting out fires” at work is a task many of us deal with on a day-to-day basis. This session will show you how to create solutions using creativity, energy and enthusiasm, so that you can make the most of your day — and make sure it’s a productive one.
- Analytical versus creative problem-solving techniques
- Obstacles that may arise
DAY ONE: SESSION FOUR:
Feeling overwhelmed? Burned out? Not finding the time to properly take care of yourself? Attend this session and learn easy ways you can reduce your stress in less than 25 minutes a day.
- Why self-care is so important, especially in an over-stimulated world
- Physical and mental exercises you can practice daily
- Healthy, traditional meals you can prepare in 25 minutes or less
DAY TWO: SESSION ONE:
TIPS FOR COMMUNICATING EFFECTIVELY
Want to make sure you’re getting your point across? Discover 25 practical tips highlighting what makes communication effective, interesting and has people wanting more. We’ll review the best communication practices gathered over the last 25 years. This session will be practical, interactive and include stories and humor.
- The secrets to high-quality communication
- Simple rapport-building techniques
- Getting yourself out of sticky situations
DAY TWO: SESSION TWO:
UNDERSTANDING YOUR TEAM-PLAYER STYLE
In this fun, high-energy session you’ll take a self-assessment to identify your team-player style. Our facilitator will help you reflect on what your results mean, and you’ll identify ways to enhance your effectiveness as a team member. Then you’ll take place in virtual team challenges, using what you just learned about yourself to capitalize on your natural strengths while practicing skills you may need help further developing.
- Gain valuable insight into your working relationships with others
- Identify your strengths and weaknesses as a team-player
- Take place in exciting team games
DAY TWO: SESSION THREE:
THE TRIBAL PROFESSIONAL AS OFFICE MANAGER
You may not have the title, official training or salary, but are you effectively the Office Manager? If you’ve found yourself in charge of running the office by default, you could use some support! In this important session, we’ll provide you with valuable tools for keeping the office running effectively by putting systems in place to keep things organized and running smoothly.
- 4 essential office policies and procedures you should put into place
- How to use big-picture thinking to guide day-to-day decisions
- Designing office systems that work for you and your team
DAY TWO: SESSION FOUR:
ASSERTIVENESS AND SELF-ESTEEM: KNOWING YOUR BOUNDARIES AND HOW TO DEFEND THEM
Difficult people and bullies come in many varieties and seem to be in every workplace. How we deal with difficult people largely depends on our personal courage, self-esteem and self-confidence. In this important session we’ll discuss ways you can stand your ground and keep your job. We’ll discuss ways to nip bullying in the bud, how to be assertive without being rude and how to define your personal boundaries and defend them.
- Who are the bullies and what’s behind their behavior
- Successfully standing up to a bully
- Developing personal courage and assertiveness
- Productively addressing bad behaviors
DAY THREE: SESSION ONE:
GETTING ORGANIZED WITH MICROSOFT OUTLOOK
Are you finding yourself overwhelmed and stressed by the number of emails and tasks you juggle each day? You’re not alone, but the answer to your problem is at your fingertips. In this essential session, we’ll show you a few simple best practices built into Outlook 2010 that will allow you to create a system to streamline your email box, easily find the information you need and keep track of tasks and scheduling.
- Mail, Calendar, Contacts and Tasks
- Organizing emails using Folders and Categories
- From Email to To-do List with a mouse click
- Organizing email with search folders and rules
DAY THREE: SESSION TWO:
What are the rights of sovereign Indian nations? What about the rights of the people who work for them? Learn the basics – the origins of sovereignty, the history of the relationship between tribes and the federal government, and the powers of tribal governments. Understand your rights as an American Indian or Alaska Native.
- Key federal laws and policies
- The powers of the tribal government
- The rights of individuals
DAY THREE: SESSION THREE:
BUDGETING WITH EXCEL
Microsoft® Excel is the perfect tool for creating and managing your budgets. From the simplest to the most complicated budgets, Excel will help you break your data down into useful spreadsheets and charts that you can use to develop spending plans, track expenditures and make budget presentations.
- Essential formulas for budgets
- How to handle variance
- Tools for creating knock-out budget reports
DAY THREE: SESSION FOUR:
CREATING JOB SATISFACTION
You do good work. You show up every day. You know what you’re doing. Then why does your job sometimes feel so exhausting and unsatisfying? Research shows that when we do not feel engaged in our work, it comes at a high cost. Work productivity, office interactions and self-esteem suffer. In this valuable session we’ll discuss ways to make minor adjustments to your behavior, your relationships and your workspace that can make your daily grind happier and more productive.
- Knowing what you are good at
- Overcoming procrastination
- Developing healthy relationships
- Taking good care
Topics subject to change.