Construction Project Management for
With so many variables and people, the construction process can be complicated and confusing. If too many things go wrong, projects end up costing unnecessary time and money. This class, tailored to the unique needs of the tribal project manager, provides a comprehensive overview of the construction process, from small-scale renovations of existing facilities to new, large-scale projects.
Whether you’re building a small service unit, remodeling an existing school or developing housing units, this class will walk you through the phases of the construction process and illustrate the skills used by successful construction project managers.
|T O P I C S I N C L U D E
|Construction Project Management — Introduction
- What is construction project management?
- The tribe as general contractor
- “Turn-key” projects
- Benefits of using construction project management
Construction Project Manager — Responsibilities and Skills
- Organization and coordination
- Planning and scheduling work
- Controlling and monitoring workflow
- Dispute resolution
- Detecting fraud
- Sanctions and legal remedies
|Knowledge of the Construction Process
The Construction Project Manager and the Building Process
- What are you constructing?
- Where are you building?
- Foundations and other special conditions
- The hands-on supervisor and work coordinator
- Overview of a typical building project walk-through
- Special considerations when building on federal Indian land
- Local permits and inspections
Application of the Federal
Acquisition Regulations (FAR)
- Conformity to national electrical and
- Site Selection
- Architectural and engineering firm selection
- Competitive bid process
- Contract negotiation
- Contract issuance
- Bonding of subcontractors
- Job start-up
- Excavation and utility hook-ups
- Exterior walls and roof
- Electrical and mechanical contracting
- Interior completion
- Inspections and use and occupancy
- Construction standards and permits
and federal Indian land
- Warranty work
- Preventive maintenance contracts
*Topics subject to change.