Indirect Cost Basics for Tribal Organizations
||June 21 - 22, 2018
||Las Vegas, NV
||Flamingo Las Vegas
(3555 S Las Vegas Blvd)
||For a room rate of $59, please call 800-634-6661 by May 28, 2018 and mention you’re with the Falmouth Institute group. Please click here to make your reservation online.
If you need to understand how indirect costs work but don’t have an in-depth accounting background, you’re not alone. If you answer “yes” to any of these questions, this is the class is for you: Are you confused by all the terms surrounding the administration of contract support?
Do you want to understand how indirect costs impact tribal programs?
Would you like to know how your program is charged and how much?
Want to know what flow through and pass through mean?
Would you like to be able to determine if a program is fairly charged?
Want to see how the indirect cost rate is calculated?
You’ll learn the answers to these and many more questions during this class, designed specifically for the person who is not an expert but wants to know how it all works, including how contract support issues impact programs and services managed by the organization.
This basic program will unravel the mystery behind all the terms you always hear being tossed around but don’t know what they mean. By the end of the program you’ll have the confidence to ask the right questions and know if you’re receiving the proper responses. If you’re an elected official, program manager, tribal administrator or administrative assistant, plan to attend and be taught in terms that are easy to understand. You’ll return to the job with renewed confidence and understanding of what administrative costs are all about.
|T O P I C S I N C L U D E
|Understanding the Terms
How IDC Rate is Calculated
- Indirect cost
- Contract support
- Pass through
- Flow through
- The base
- The pool
Indirect Costs vs. Contract Support
- Learn how simple it really is
- Different examples for non-accountants
- How you can determine what your program should pay
- Where these terms come from
- Differences under P.L. 93-638 contracts and compacts
- How the system impact non P.L 93-638 programs
|Impact on Grants
How Indirect Cost Proposals are Developed
- Knowing what funding agencies consider administrative costs
- How the indirect cost rate impacts grant funding
- What the rate means to your budget
- Why some grants do not pay
Easy Overview of Federal Laws and Regulations that Govern the Process
- The pool budget
- How and why a particular base is chosen
- Who approves the tribe's indirect cost rate?
- P.L. 93-638 Indian Self-Determination Act
- OMB Super Circular
- ASMBC 10
|Famous Court Decisions Impacting Contract Support
Identifying Common Indirect Cost Problems
- Navajo Health Foundation-Sage Memorial Hospital, Inc. v. Burwell
- Ramah v. Salazar
- Cherokee v. Levitt
- Timekeeping systems
- Consistent treatment and specific identification of costs
- Costs of "unallowable activities" credits
- Indirect cost allocation base
- Expressly unallowable costs
- Inter-organizational transfers and related-party transactions
- Lease incentives and advance understandings
- Budget limitations unsupported
Guidelines for Preparing Indirect Cost Rate Proposals
- Basics of preparing a proposal
- Documents supporting the proposal
- Proposal checklist
- Proposal filing instructions from the Department of the Interior
- Submission timeframes
- Proposal submission FAQ’s
*Topics subject to change.